Monday, November 5, 2012

my own social experiment


My mom read me an article (seen here) about a famous musician, Joshua Bell, who stood in a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin. The same musician who 2 days before was performing at a sold out at a theater in Boston with seats averaging $100 a pop. Turns out his playing was organized by the Washington Post as part of an social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context.

After hearing this story, I thought to myself 'I should do a social experiment of my own'. I will dress in rags and live a day as a vagrant. I was nervous at first, how would people treat me? I had to do this, and tonight was the night!

With quite the disheveled look, I went out for a night on the town. I ended up at Sunken Ship Tattoo Shop in Everett where I my experiment took a turn I could not even begin to expect...
They freaking loved me! Apparently everyone thinks a bum baby is soooo adorable! What the fuck? Are you kidding me? I never anticipated this kind of reaction, and quite frankly I was slightly offended. However, this was not my first stop and I refused to break character. I kept hitting the bottle all night until I was stumbling around like a maniac, I shit my pants and at one point a stranger gave me candy so I pretended it was bath salts and bit my mom. 


All I have to say is this experiment really taught me a lot about myself and how open and caring the citizens of Everett really are. Ending completely different then I imagined, it was all worth it. And in the end, my conclusion to this little experiment... BITCHES LOVE HOBOS!! 

Also, for the record the original article about Joshua Bell does state that the one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. That's what I thought mutha fuckas. Us kids, are made about to be such dimwits... well how you like me now? us babies know whats up with the arts and culture of today, we just have a hard time articulating, shiiiit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment